- How will this guide will help you?
- What is search engine optimisation?
- Why is search engine optimisation important?
Optimising your site
- Optimising the Title Tag
- Optimising the Meta Description
- Creating Optimised Content
- Adding Internal Links
- Building Inbound Links
- Optimising Heading Tags
- Using Clean URLs
- Optimising Image & File Names
- Optimising HTML
- Improving Page Speeds
- Optimising Image ALT Tags
- Adding an XML Sitemap
- Adding an HTML Sitemap
- Customising a 404 Error Page
- Adding Breadcrumbs
- Responsive, Mobile Friendly Design
- Optimising Your Domain Name
What Is It?
Image ALT tags describe the contents of an image, and are displayed when you hover over an image or if it fails to load.
These Image ALT tags are also used heavily by Google.
Because Google can’t actually see an image.
Instead, Google relies on the filename and ALT tag to determine what an image contains.
Improve Your Search Engine Rankings With Image Alt Tags
Add An ALT Tag To Your Images
Keyword-rich ALT tags won’t just increase usability, they’ll also further boost the signals your page sends to the Googlebot.
You’ll also increase the chances of these images showing up within Google Image Searches.
Note: It it important you ensure that images are descriptive of the image, not only targeting keywords, just include them if you can.
Image ALT Tag Checklist
- Do image ALT Tags make use of relevant keywords?
- Do all images have ALT tags applied to them?
- Do image ALT tags accurately describe the image i.e not only target keywords?