- How will this guide will help you?
- What is search engine optimisation?
- Why is search engine optimisation important?
Optimising your site
- Optimising the Title Tag
- Optimising the Meta Description
- Creating Optimised Content
- Adding Internal Links
- Building Inbound Links
- Optimising Heading Tags
- Using Clean URLs
- Optimising Image & File Names
- Optimising HTML
- Improving Page Speeds
- Optimising Image ALT Tags
- Adding an XML Sitemap
- Adding an HTML Sitemap
- Customising a 404 Error Page
- Adding Breadcrumbs
- Responsive, Mobile Friendly Design
- Optimising Your Domain Name
What Is It?
You’ve probably seen a URL or two that looks something like this:
It’s a mess!
These URLs don’t just negatively affect SEO, they can also scare users away when found in search.
But there is a better way!
Improve Your Search Engine Rankings With Clean URLs
Clean URLs ensure they’re readable and descriptive, and maximise their use of keywords.
The reasons for doing this? They’re threefold:
- Users can read them and better identify pages they want to click on in search.
- Google will bold keywords in URLs when they’re searched for.
- Google will give these pages a boost in visibility and rankings.
So when it comes to writing URLs, you should:
- Keep them short and descriptive.
- Use a hyphen ‘-‘ to separate each word.
- Do URLs include hyphens as separators?
- Do URLs include keywords relevant to the page content?
- Are there any unnecessary alphanumeric characters within the URLs?