- How will this guide will help you?
- What is search engine optimisation?
- Why is search engine optimisation important?
Optimising your site
- Optimising the Title Tag
- Optimising the Meta Description
- Creating Optimised Content
- Adding Internal Links
- Building Inbound Links
- Optimising Heading Tags
- Using Clean URLs
- Optimising Image & File Names
- Optimising HTML
- Improving Page Speeds
- Optimising Image ALT Tags
- Adding an XML Sitemap
- Adding an HTML Sitemap
- Customising a 404 Error Page
- Adding Breadcrumbs
- Responsive, Mobile Friendly Design
- Optimising Your Domain Name
What is it?
The meta description is the text displayed in search engine results below the Title and URL of a page.
In HTML, a meta description looks like this:
<meta name=”description” content=”This is where the META description text goes”>
While this is what a meta description looks like in Google search:
META descriptions are your opportunity to convince people to click on your link over a competitor.
How To Improve Your Search Engine Rankings With Meta Descriptions
Pick Your Top Pages
You won’t have time to write unique META Descriptions for every page, so focus on important pages such as:
- Your home page.
- Product category pages.
- Services pages.
- Killer content or worthwhile resources.
As for the rest? Leave the Googlebot to grab relevant snippets from the text on these pages.
Tip: Don’t re-use a generic META description. This duplicate content can do more harm than good.
Write A Unique Meta Description
Write a concise, unique META description that summarises the contents of the page, covering:
- The services it offers.
- The products it sells.
- What the content is about.
Limit Descriptions To 320 Characters
With just 320 characters to work with, make the most of it.
Include Keywords & Locations
Include keywords and locations that are relevant to the page.
Invite People To Click!
A Meta Description is your chance to sell your page to users, so spice it up and appeal to their curiosity!
Use These Meta Description Examples To Get You Started
Number Crunchers NZ is a chartered accountancy firm providing Auckland small businesses with leading financial services. Call us today at 0800 111 222!.
Send flowers to friends and family with New Zealand's florist of choice. With guaranteed same day delivery available nationwide. Your first order is on us!
Meta Description Checklist
- Do all important pages feature a META Description?
- Are META Descriptions unique across the site?
- Do META Descriptions use keywords relevant to the content on the page?
- Are Meta Descriptions under 156 characters in length?